Have you been searching for the top workers’ compensation attorney in South Carolina? There is no list that ranks the “best” attorney for workers’ compensation, but we believe that finding the right attorney to represent you is critical to a successful outcome.
If you have been injured in a work related accident, it is important to hire an experienced workers compensation attorney that can help you get the medical treatment, out of work checks, and settlement for your physical impairment that you are entitled to receive under the law. On the job injuries can be financially devastating if you do not have a qualified attorney protecting your best interests before the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission.
There is no list that ranks the “best” attorney for workers’ compensation, but we believe that finding the right attorney to represent you is critical to a successful outcome. When you are searching for an attorney to represent you in your workers’ compensation claim, here are some tips for you to consider so that you choose the best attorney for your case:
1. HIRE AN ATTORNEY THAT FOCUSES ON REPRESENTING INJURED WORKERS IN WORKERS’ COMPENSATION.
The laws of Workers’ Compensation in South Carolina are unique and often require specialized skill and training to fully understand. We believe it is important to hire a workers’ compensation firm that focuses its practice on representing injured workers. Many lawyers handle a variety of matters, such as real estate, divorce, wills, or traffic court, but the lawyer that you should hire for a workers’ compensation matter should make representing injured workers a top priority. The lawyers at the Goings Law Firm all are trained in workers’ compensation and have considerable experience appearing before the Workers’ Compensation Commission, which makes this firm a great pick for your work accident injury.
2. READ ONLINE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU HIRE A WORKER’S COMPENSATION ATTORNEY.
- Have you taken the time to read reviews of attorneys who handle worker’s compensation claim? We find that online reviews from former clients can be very helpful in picking the best workers’ compensation attorney for your case. You can find reviews on website such as Google, Lawyers.com, and Avvo.com, and we would recommend choosing an attorney with strong recommendations and reviews of former clients. When you read the reviews, understand that not every person can be pleased despite how hard you work or how great the result may be for their case. If you are interested in reading the 5 star and 10/10 reviews about the Goings Law Firm, check out these links: Lawyers.com Reviews, SuperLawyers Reviews, Avvo.com Reviews. The Goings Law Firm is also featured on Expertise.com as a highly ranked injury firm in South Carolina, as shown here.
3. ONE-ON-ONE ATTENTION IS IMPORTANT.
- One-on-one attention to you and your case should be a necessary factor in deciding to hire an attorney. Ask yourself, do you want to retain an attorney that accepts a “high volume” of injury claims, or do you want an attorney who will get to know you personally and doesn’t treat you as just another number? We believe that smaller caseloads make for better attorney client relationship, which often fosters a better outcome for your particular case. At the Goings Law Firm, we provide one-on-one attention to each client.
4. MAKE SURE THE WORKERS’ COMPENSATION ATTORNEY TAKES YOUR CASE ON A CONTINGENCY FEE BASIS.
- How you pay your attorney for an injury on the job is important. The best way for an injured worker to pay for an attorney is through a contingency fee basis. This allows you to hire an attorney without ever paying a penny out of pocket. The attorneys would only be compensated if they obtain financial compensation in your favor, so in essence, the attorney’s fees are only “contingent” on your attorney obtaining a monetary result for you. A contingency fee arrangement allows an injured worker to hire an attorney without costing anything on the front end and the attorney bears the risk, not you. Importantly, contingency fee incentives your attorney to get you the most money possible, because the attorneys’ fees are tied to a percentage of the overall settlement or recovery. Additionally, your attorney should advance all associated legal costs so that you do not incur any upfront charges or bills during the course of your representation. At the Goings Law Firm, we only handle workers’ compensation claims under at contingency basis and our attorney’s fees and costs are always approved by the Workers’ Compensation Commission so you know that you are being treated fairly and not being overcharged.
5. DOES THE WORKERS’ COMPENSATION ATTORNEY HAVE A TRACK RECORD FOR SUCCESS?
- Another consideration in choosing a worker’s compensation is whether law firm has a proven track record for success in court. Often times attorneys have no desire or interest in going to court, and instead take the easy route through opting for a settlement that is less than the value of the case. We refuse to take the “low-ball quick check” approach to helping injured workers. When the insurance company refuses to give proper medical treatment or pay you what your case is worth, we take them to court. If workers’ compensation insurance carrier knows you are willing to take your case to trial, this allows you to resolve the case more fairly and with higher compensation. The Goings Law Firm has a proven track record of winning cases for injured workers before the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission, and we look forward to the opportunity to win your case if you are faced with a serious on the job injury.
6. HIRE A WORKERS’ COMPENSATION ATTORNEY THAT OTHER ATTORNEYS TRUST.
- We recommend hiring a workers’ compensation attorney that other attorneys trust for serious injuries that occur on the job. Asking a lawyer who they would recommend is often a good way to find an experienced attorney. Many of the workers’ compensation clients of this firm are based on recommendations from other attorneys. The Goings Law Firm is a firm that other attorneys routinely trust and hire in representing their clients before the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission.
Robert F. Goings – Top Voted Personal Injury Attorney
When other attorneys believe you are at the Top, it means something! Robert F. Goings was named in the Midlands of South Carolina as the Top Voted attorney in the field of Personal Injury in the 2019 Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands. He was voted to this distinction by other attorneys in the Columbia and Midlands area of South Carolina. It is a great honor to be considered by other attorneys as the Top Voted Personal Injury attorney, and we believe this distinction reflects our firms strong reputation for honesty, hard-work, and dedication to our clients. Robert Goings’ reputation in the legal community as a champion for those who have suffered significant injury or a wrongful death is also reflected in being named to Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in South Carolina by the U.S. News and World Reports. Being a highly rated and well respected law firm in the field of personal injury, wrongful death, and workers compensation takes many years of excellent results for clients. From serious motor vehicle collision caused by drunk drivers to medical malpractice and nursing home neglect, Robert Goings and his team of attorneys are highly rated by other attorneys in the legal profession. To learn more about the 2019 Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands article can be viewed by clicking here.
5 Tips in Hiring the Best Lawyer for Your Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, or Workers’ Compensation Case
We believe that hiring an attorney for your personal injury case is a very important decision. Hiring the right attorney is critical. If you are looking to hire a personal injury attorney, here are some tips for you to consider so that you choose the best attorney for your case:
1. Be Cautious Choosing your Attorney based on a Billboard or a TV Commercial.
- Be careful if you are choosing an attorney solely based on an advertisement. Many times, law firms or attorneys will plaster their names all over billboards around town or run tasteless or cheesy television commercials. Hiring an attorney should not be based on a silly commercial, gimmicky telephone numbers, or promises for a quick check. Don’t be fooled! Ask yourself, do you want an attorney that is spending time their marketing to new clients on TV with cartoon-like characters and big numbers to call, or do you want a serious lawyer that is working hard for clients in and outside of the courtroom? It is hard to be a fighter in the courtroom if your attorney is too busy filming TV commercials or picking out the next billboard to print. We have found that often times the best attorneys don’t need to advertise. And if they do advertise, the advertisement should reflect high achievements and strong ethical commitments to the representation of injured people. We recommend that you hire an attorney who will treat your case as a serious matter and provide you with the best legal representation possible. The Goings Law Firm strives to set itself apart from silly commercial, gimmicky telephone numbers, or promises for a quick check. Instead, we provide sincere, honest and aggressive representation to people and families faced with serious injury and death.
2. Read Online Reviews Before you Hire an Attorney.
- Online reviews from former clients can be very helpful in choosing the best lawyer for your case. When a former client takes the time to leave a review, it helps people searching for an attorney know what law firm would be best suited for their case based on personality, success, and traits that are important to you. You can find reviews on website such as Google, Lawyers.com, and Avvo.com, and we would recommend choosing an attorney with strong recommendations and reviews of former clients. At the same time, we all know that not everybody can be made happy despite how hard you work or how great the result may be for their case. If you are interested in reading the 5 star and 10/10 reviews about the Goings Law Firm and Robert Goings, check out these links: Google Reviews, Lawyers.com Reviews, SuperLawyers Reviews, Avvo.com Reviews. The Goings Law Firm is also featured on Expertise.com as a highly rated and reviewed personal injury firm in Columbia, South Carolina, as shown here.
3. Consider if you want a “High Volume” Law Firm or an Attorney that You Will Give you One-on-One Attention.
- When you are searching for an attorney, it is important to consider if you want a law firm that accepts a “high volume” of cases or claims or if you want a smaller firm that only accepts a select number of clients. Also, do you want your case or file to be a number or would you rather be represented by an attorney who knows you personally and doesn’t treat you as just another number? Because legal matters can often times be complex and time consuming, we have found that we provide the best representation to our clients when our caseload is smaller and more manageable. When a law firm is does not accept a large number of cases, it it naturally easier to develop a relationship with your attorney and for that lawyer to provide one-on-one attention to each client. At the Goings Law Firm, we strive to provide one-on-one attention to each client. You will not be a just a number at our firm. If you want a “high volume” firm, we would not be right fit for you. We don’t operate with a “settlement mill” or “ambulance chaser” mindset, but with the focus on treating you in the same manner we would expect to be treated.
4. Is The Attorney a Real Trial Attorney with Results in Court?
- Another consideration in choosing a personal injury or wrongful death attorney is whether the attorney has a strong track record in going to court. It is important to know if your personal injury attorney has the trial experience to represent you in court. Often times attorneys have no desire or interest in trying cases even though they label themselves as “trial attorneys.” The Goings Law Firm is truly a team of trial attorney who are not scared to go to court! We refuse to take the “low-ball quick check” approach to representing victims. We go to court when necessary. We have found that if the insurance company knows your attorney is willing to take your case to trial before a judge or a jury, then the defendant or insurance company is more likely willing to resolve the case more fairly and with higher compensation. On the other hand, if the defendant or insurance company knows that the attorney has a reputation of never taking the case to trial, then the the defendant or insurance company has no real incentive to fairly compensate you. The Goings Law Firm has made its reputation in the courtroom with verdict after verdict in favor of our clients.
5. Hire an Attorney that Other Attorneys Would Hire.
- Lawyers in the community typically know which lawyers are the best to hire. Asking a lawyer who they would recommend is often a good way to find a lawyer for your case. The Goings Law Firm represents many clients on the recommendation of other attorneys. In fact, attorneys often times refer clients to the Goings Law Firm in situations where a lawsuit is required to be brought in order to get fair compensation. The Goings Law Firm is a firm that other attorneys hire to assist in representing their clients in complex litigation matter involving personal injury, wrongful death, and on the job workers compensation injuries. In fact, Robert F. Goings was named in the Midlands of South Carolina as the Top Voted attorney in the field of Personal Injury in the 2019 Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands. His honor was based on receiving the top number of votes by other attorneys in the Columbia and Midlands area of South Carolina. We believe that you should hire an attorney that other attorney would hire!
Just 3 weeks ago the economy was booming and Americans were working more than ever. Now with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, everyone’s security in the workplace is being jeopardized. We have received inquiries from individuals who were hurt on the job prior to the pandemic but for whatever reason they delayed in giving notice of their injury. Maybe they were hoping the injury would get better on its own or maybe they were so busy with work they could not take the time off to treat. Unfortunately, we even hear of individuals that have not reported their accident because they were intimidated, they would be fired for reporting a workers’ compensation claim. Whatever the reason, injured workers find themselves in the predicament of needing to report the injury but now being temporarily laid-off due to COVID-19. The good news is you may be able to still report your accident, even if your company is shutting down for the coronavirus.
One of the essential elements of having a workers’ compensation claim in South Carolina is providing proper notice to your employer of the accident and injury. South Carolina Code Ann. § 42-15-20 provides that an employee has up to 90 days to report an injury. If you recently got hurt while working do not hesitate to report your accident. Your 90-day window runs from the date of the accident. Even if you are not at work currently you can still report your accident through virtual measures. We recommend emailing or texting your supervisor, human resource representative (HR) or owner of the company immediately. Your message or email should contain a few basic elements: date of injury, brief description, list ever body part injured and request medical treatment. Although you can still call in and speak to someone, we discourage using this reporting method by itself as employers and workers’ compensation insurance carriers often deny receiving verbal notice over the phone.
Although COVID-19 may be impacting your life and income immediately, don’t let it impact your ability to seek medical benefits and recovery for your work injuries. Let us help you answer these questions and any other questions you may have with your work injuries. Call us today at (803) 350-9230 to find out if we can help
If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you for an injury that occurred in the course and scope of your job, you will need to determine who is the best workers’ compensation lawyer for you. Hiring the best attorney is important. We caution people from choosing a lawyer based on silly advertisements, paid actors on commercials, or representations that appear too good to be true. You will not find any gimmicks with our firm! When injuries on the job, you need a serious lawyer that devotes time meeting with clients and representing them in court. Experience matters in hiring a workers’ compensation attorney in South Carolina. Here are some tips on hiring a workers’ compensation attorney based on frequently asked questions:
1. Should I hire a workers’ compensation attorney?
- If you have been injured on the job, the first questions to ask yourself is “Do I need to hire an attorney?” An attorney is not required for all workers’ compensation claims. In fact, many job injuries do not require the need for an attorney if injury is not severe or your work is not limited. However, we strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney if you fall within any of these categories:
- The workers’ compensation carrier has delayed or been been slow in providing medical care.
- The worker’s compensation carrier has denied your claim.
- If your injury requires surgery.
- If your injury requires you to be out of work for over 14 days.
- If your injury requires hospitalization.
- If you have not received a workers’ compensation check for being out of work.
- If any of these situations apply to you, then we strongly recommend contacting our office today to see if we can represent you in your workers’ compensation claim.
2. Will the Insurance Company hire an attorney?
- Yes, the insurance company will have a team of attorneys to represent the interests of the insurance company and the employer regardless of you hiring an attorney. If the insurance company and the employer always has attorneys representing them, shouldn’t you have an attorney to represent you? It’s can be dangerous to represent yourself in a workers’ compensation claim. Don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you if your injury falls within any of the categories above.
3. Who should I hire to represent me in my workers’ compensation claim?
- It is important to hire the best attorney to represent injured workers in workers’ compensation claims. We believe the best representation that you can receive is to hire an attorney who only practices in the field of workers’ compensation. Not every attorney in South Carolina handles workers’ compensation claims. The workers’ compensation system is unique in South Carolina. The South Carolina worker’s compensation laws consist of thousands of pages of statutory laws and regulations, and case law from the South Carolina Court of Appeals and South Carolina Supreme Court. It is important to hire an attorney with a sole and singular focus in representing injury workers before the Workers’ Compensation Commission. The workers’ compensation team at the Goings Law Firm has the sole mission of only representing injured workers.
4. Look at Testimonials or Reviews when Hiring your Attorney.
- We believe that online testimonials and reviews are a great place to start when choosing a lawyers for your workers’ compensation claim. Testimonials and reviews allow you to hear from past clients who have dealt with the law office to determine if you are the right fit for that firm. We would recommend that you look at sites, like Facebook, Google, Avvo, Super Lawyers, Expertise, and Lawyers.com. You will find that the Goings Law Firm has received great reviewed from former clients!
5. Why Hire the Goings Law Firm as your Workers’ Compensation Attorney?
- When you hire the Goings Law Firm, you are getting a team of dedicated workers’ compensation professionals to represent you. We believe experience matters. The more experience your attorney has, the more likely they have seen similar cases in the past and know the best ways to prove your claim. Robert Goings founded the workers’ compensation practice. Year after year, Robert Goings receives honors for his commitment to fighting for the right of the injury. In 2019, Robert was recognized as Legal Elite under Personal Injury Law for the Columbia/Midlands Business Monthly publication. He received the most votes for Personal Injury Law and was nominated by his peers in Columbia as the Top Personal Injury Lawyer in the Midlands.
- The workers’ compensation team is lead by Christian Boesl. Christian has devoted his career to workers’ compensation in South Carolina. He is listed as a Super Lawyer and in the Best Lawyers in America in the field of Workers’ Compensation. Before joining the Goings Law Firm, Christian lead the workers’ compensation team at one of the state’s most respected insurance workers’ compensation defense firms for nearly 15 years. In defending workers’ compensation claims, he knows how the “other side” works in order to best represent you before the Workers’ Compensation Commission. His experience in defending workers’ compensation claims has proven invaluable in helping injured workers get the benefits and compensation that they deserve under the law. Many clients and opposing counsel refer to Christian’s efforts as “relentless”, “hard-charging”, and “aggressively confident.” We believe Christian is the go-to attorney for Workers’ Compensation based on his proven results both in and outside of the courtroom. Additionally, the paralegals that work at the Goings Law Firm on the workers’ compensation team only focus on workers’ compensation claims. These paralegals have a combined more than 20 years experience for on the job injuries to ensure that your case is properly handled and that your questions are timely answered. Just check out the reviews online about our workers’ compensation practice.
6. How much does the Goings Law Firm charge to represent me?
- For on the job injuries and workers’ compensation claims, the Goings Law Firm only represents clients on a no-obligation contingency fee basis. This means that we only get paid if you receive compensation. If you lose, then you owe nothing to our office. Our fee is a percentage of the recovery based on the amount permitted by the statutory laws and regulations for workers’ compensation claims in South Carolina. Our fees are fair, and reasonable, and are always approved by the Workers’ Compensation commission. Due to the complex nature of workers’ compensation laws, we believe that clients have a better chance in getting a better resolution with the aid of an experienced lawyer instead of representing yourself in court. There is a lot of value in hiring a firm like the Goings Law Firm.
7. How do I get in touch with the Goings Law Firm for my on the job injury?
- Contacting the Goings Law Firm is easy! Simply call or text us today to see if we can help you get the benefits and compensation that you deserve for your on the job injury.
As you enjoy the last day of 2019, make sure you’re being safe this is one of the most dangerous holidays of the year in South Carolina and throughout the nation. In fact, South Carolina ranks as the third most dangerous state based on highest crash rates based on the number of licensed drivers.
According to nationwide statistics from AAA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the odds of getting in a car accident on New Year’s Eve skyrockets because there are more drunk drivers on the road. New Year’s driving statistics from SafeAuto.com show that between 2008 and 2012, January 1st had the highest percentage of alcohol related deaths when compared to other days and holidays. During the holidays, more drivers are alcohol impaired because so many people are going to holiday parties, and drinking alcohol in excessive amounts.
Here are some statistics to keep this New Year’s Eve:
- The five states with the highest crash rates (most dangerous states) were: (1) Mississippi; (2) Oklahoma; (3) South Carolina; (4) Wyoming; (5) Texas
- During the Christmas and New Year’s period last year, there were 285 drunk driving-related traffic deaths in the United States.
- January 1st is the day of the year with the highest percent of deaths related to alcohol from 2008-12.
- Across the country, 36 people, on average, were killed every day in crashes involving alcohol between 2001 and 2005.
- DUI arrests peak between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.
- Between Christmas and New Year’s, 40 percent of deadly crashes involve drunk drivers.
- More pedestrians are killed on New Year’s Day than any other day of the year.
- The hours between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. are the most dangerous during the New Year’s holiday.
Five Years of Fatal Crashes on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day in South Carolina
The reported crash rates in South Carolina for the last 5 years on New Years Eve and New Year’s Day is 1.25 crashes per 100,000 licensed drivers. The statistics are as follows:
- 50 Motor Vehicle Collisions in South Carolina that involve fatalities.
- 19 Motor Vehicle Collisions in South Carolina that involve fatalities caused by drunk drivers.
Have you been injured due to a Drunk Driver on New Year’s Day?
If you or a member of your family has been injured as a result of the reckless or drunk driving of someone on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day, please contact the personal injury and wrongful death attorneys at the Goings Law Firm today to learn about your rights to financial compensation. We have the experience to fight against drunk drivers to ensure that you receive full and fair compensation. We vigorously pursue legal action against the impaired drivers, and the bars, restaurants, and party hosts that over serve them. Call or text us today at (803) 350-9230 for a free, no obligation consultation.
DISCLAIMER: We are not “BILLBOARD LAWYERS” or “TV LAWYERS”. We are real lawyers that go to court to fight for truth and justice!
Summertime is here, and with it, one of our favorite things: vacation!
Our entire team loves to go on vacation with our families each summer. Some of our favorite destinations include flying up to New York City or taking a trip down to the low country for a week of relaxation at the beach. Where do you and your family enjoy vacationing over the summer?
If you’re hitting the road to travel down to the coast for a week at the beach or to road trip to visit the grandparents, you’ll want to take extra care on the roadways. Millions of Americans gas up and travel by car throughout the summer months from Memorial Day weekend all the way through Labor Day. Traffic is heavier and patience is thinner as people hurry to get to their vacation destination.
In South Carolina alone this year, 438 people have died on South Carolina roadways.
How can you make sure that you and your family stay safe on the roads as you travel to your vacation destinations this summer?
According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, of the 438 people who have died in 2019, 292 had access to seatbelts and 143 of them were not wearing them. It’s the easiest step towards keeping your family safe: buckle up!
Plan ahead for long drives and have stops mapped out along the way for you to stretch, wake up, and refuel for the next portion of your drive. You don’t want to drive while drowsy!
Help keep everyone safe on the road this summer, and be sure to look twice for motorcycles. Be alert and be sure to share the road with all motorists including motorcyclists and bicyclists.
Here’s to a safe, fun-filled summer full of wonderful vacations with your friends and family!
If you are wondering if you should hire a workers’ compensation attorney, listen to this short video. Christian Boesl explains when you should hire an attorney to help you with your workers’ compensation claim in South Carolina. Here are the tips to know when you need an attorney. The insurance company will have attorneys defending the case against you, shouldn’t you have legal representation? Call us today at 803-350-9230 for a free, no obligation, consultation to see if we can help you.
Personal Injury | Wrongful Death | Workers’ Compensation
The entire team at Goings Law Firm is proud to announce that our team of attorneys—Robert Goings, Christian Boesl, and Jessica Gooding, were all included in the 2019 South Carolina Super Lawyers List.
Both Robert and Christian were recognized as Super Lawyers and Jessica was named as a Rising Star.
Photo by: Joshua Aaron Photography
Being recognized on the South Carolina Super Lawyers list is a true honor in our field as Super Layers is an exclusive list that recognizes the top 2.5% of lawyers in our state. Selections are made annually and they are based on several factors including peer nominations, research by the team at Super Lawyers, and on evaluations put together by a panel of attorneys.
Please join us in congratulating Robert, Christian, and Jessica on this honor!