Robert F. Goings – Top Voted Personal Injury Attorney
When other attorneys believe you are at the Top, it means something! Robert F. Goings was named in the Midlands of South Carolina as the Top Voted attorney in the field of Personal Injury in the 2019 Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands. He was voted to this distinction by other attorneys in the Columbia and Midlands area of South Carolina. It is a great honor to be considered by other attorneys as the Top Voted Personal Injury attorney, and we believe this distinction reflects our firms strong reputation for honesty, hard-work, and dedication to our clients. Robert Goings’ reputation in the legal community as a champion for those who have suffered significant injury or a wrongful death is also reflected in being named to Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in South Carolina by the U.S. News and World Reports. Being a highly rated and well respected law firm in the field of personal injury, wrongful death, and workers compensation takes many years of excellent results for clients. From serious motor vehicle collision caused by drunk drivers to medical malpractice and nursing home neglect, Robert Goings and his team of attorneys are highly rated by other attorneys in the legal profession. To learn more about the 2019 Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands article can be viewed by clicking here.
5 Tips in Hiring the Best Lawyer for Your Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, or Workers’ Compensation Case
We believe that hiring an attorney for your personal injury case is a very important decision. Hiring the right attorney is critical. If you are looking to hire a personal injury attorney, here are some tips for you to consider so that you choose the best attorney for your case:
1. Be Cautious Choosing your Attorney based on a Billboard or a TV Commercial.
- Be careful if you are choosing an attorney solely based on an advertisement. Many times, law firms or attorneys will plaster their names all over billboards around town or run tasteless or cheesy television commercials. Hiring an attorney should not be based on a silly commercial, gimmicky telephone numbers, or promises for a quick check. Don’t be fooled! Ask yourself, do you want an attorney that is spending time their marketing to new clients on TV with cartoon-like characters and big numbers to call, or do you want a serious lawyer that is working hard for clients in and outside of the courtroom? It is hard to be a fighter in the courtroom if your attorney is too busy filming TV commercials or picking out the next billboard to print. We have found that often times the best attorneys don’t need to advertise. And if they do advertise, the advertisement should reflect high achievements and strong ethical commitments to the representation of injured people. We recommend that you hire an attorney who will treat your case as a serious matter and provide you with the best legal representation possible. The Goings Law Firm strives to set itself apart from silly commercial, gimmicky telephone numbers, or promises for a quick check. Instead, we provide sincere, honest and aggressive representation to people and families faced with serious injury and death.
2. Read Online Reviews Before you Hire an Attorney.
- Online reviews from former clients can be very helpful in choosing the best lawyer for your case. When a former client takes the time to leave a review, it helps people searching for an attorney know what law firm would be best suited for their case based on personality, success, and traits that are important to you. You can find reviews on website such as Google, Lawyers.com, and Avvo.com, and we would recommend choosing an attorney with strong recommendations and reviews of former clients. At the same time, we all know that not everybody can be made happy despite how hard you work or how great the result may be for their case. If you are interested in reading the 5 star and 10/10 reviews about the Goings Law Firm and Robert Goings, check out these links: Google Reviews, Lawyers.com Reviews, SuperLawyers Reviews, Avvo.com Reviews. The Goings Law Firm is also featured on Expertise.com as a highly rated and reviewed personal injury firm in Columbia, South Carolina, as shown here.
3. Consider if you want a “High Volume” Law Firm or an Attorney that You Will Give you One-on-One Attention.
- When you are searching for an attorney, it is important to consider if you want a law firm that accepts a “high volume” of cases or claims or if you want a smaller firm that only accepts a select number of clients. Also, do you want your case or file to be a number or would you rather be represented by an attorney who knows you personally and doesn’t treat you as just another number? Because legal matters can often times be complex and time consuming, we have found that we provide the best representation to our clients when our caseload is smaller and more manageable. When a law firm is does not accept a large number of cases, it it naturally easier to develop a relationship with your attorney and for that lawyer to provide one-on-one attention to each client. At the Goings Law Firm, we strive to provide one-on-one attention to each client. You will not be a just a number at our firm. If you want a “high volume” firm, we would not be right fit for you. We don’t operate with a “settlement mill” or “ambulance chaser” mindset, but with the focus on treating you in the same manner we would expect to be treated.
4. Is The Attorney a Real Trial Attorney with Results in Court?
- Another consideration in choosing a personal injury or wrongful death attorney is whether the attorney has a strong track record in going to court. It is important to know if your personal injury attorney has the trial experience to represent you in court. Often times attorneys have no desire or interest in trying cases even though they label themselves as “trial attorneys.” The Goings Law Firm is truly a team of trial attorney who are not scared to go to court! We refuse to take the “low-ball quick check” approach to representing victims. We go to court when necessary. We have found that if the insurance company knows your attorney is willing to take your case to trial before a judge or a jury, then the defendant or insurance company is more likely willing to resolve the case more fairly and with higher compensation. On the other hand, if the defendant or insurance company knows that the attorney has a reputation of never taking the case to trial, then the the defendant or insurance company has no real incentive to fairly compensate you. The Goings Law Firm has made its reputation in the courtroom with verdict after verdict in favor of our clients.
5. Hire an Attorney that Other Attorneys Would Hire.
- Lawyers in the community typically know which lawyers are the best to hire. Asking a lawyer who they would recommend is often a good way to find a lawyer for your case. The Goings Law Firm represents many clients on the recommendation of other attorneys. In fact, attorneys often times refer clients to the Goings Law Firm in situations where a lawsuit is required to be brought in order to get fair compensation. The Goings Law Firm is a firm that other attorneys hire to assist in representing their clients in complex litigation matter involving personal injury, wrongful death, and on the job workers compensation injuries. In fact, Robert F. Goings was named in the Midlands of South Carolina as the Top Voted attorney in the field of Personal Injury in the 2019 Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands. His honor was based on receiving the top number of votes by other attorneys in the Columbia and Midlands area of South Carolina. We believe that you should hire an attorney that other attorney would hire!
One man was recently killed in an accident involving a tractor and a box truck on the morning of November 6th in New Holland.
According to reports, 68-year-old George W. Kirkland was test driving his tractor at around 10:30 in the morning on New Holland Road after making several repairs to the vehicle. While driving north along the road, Kirkland’s tractor was struck by a 2010 box truck from behind. The truck was operated by Tramell G. Wagner and registered to a company named Carolina International, a shipping truck dealer out of Georgetown, South Carolina.
Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton stated that the tractor driver was taken to the Aiken Regional Medical Centers after the accident where he was pronounced dead due to multiple bodily traumas.
South Carolina Highway Patrol authorities found that Kirkland was not at fault for the accident. According to reports, the accident is currently under investigation by the South Carolina Highway Patrol Multi-disciplinary Accident Investigation Team.
An early morning accident occurred on Interstate 26 in the eastbound lane of travel located northwest of Columbia, SC. The accident involved over ten vehicles, one of which was a large tanker-truck carrying 8,500 gallons of combustible fuel. The accident caused the truck to spill fuel all over the interstate. The truck and surrounding cars were engulfed by fire. Due to the accident, both lanes of travel were shut down for several hours. This caused major traffic back-up as I-26 serves as a major corridor for people traveling in and out of Columbia. Miraculously, no one was killed in the accident. The highway department is still ruling on the cause of this accident. The accident was so large that it garnered attention of some major news sources: view more stories here.
When an eighteen wheeler or truck accident occurs, it can cause major damage to surrounding vehicles, and it often results in either serious injury or death. When the truck is a tanker truck carrying dangerous chemicals or fuels, the damage can be magnified. While fortunately no one was killed in this accident, if you, a family member, or a friend were injured in this or a similar trucking accident, then contact the Goings Law Firm, LLC today. With trucking accidents involving chemical spills, it is important to consult an experienced trucking accident and auto accident attorney, who can handle the complexities of your case. Please call Robert F. Goings and his experienced staff at the Goings Law Firm, LLC for a free case consultation.
Large commercial vehicles, like tractor-trailers, are the largest vehicles traveling on road today. Because trucks are so large, they pose a significant safety concern, as accidents involving tractor-trailers can often be catastrophic. Safety is such a big concern that the government has an entire agency dedicated to monitoring and regulating the safe operation of large commercial vehicles. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) gives ratings to trucking companies who operate commercial vehicles, to determine whether they are in compliance with all safety regulations. If a commercial trucking company develops a poor safety rating, the FMCSA could impose penalties and even shut down a company if there are too many violations.
The problem with chameleon carriers
A “chameleon carrier” is a trucking company that re-registers with the U.S. Department of Transportation to avoid liability or problems with their safety ratings. Often times these “new” companies have the same office, same officers, and same drivers, but they are registered under a new name. This makes it easier for a trucking company to employ drivers with poor safety records. If a company has fines, they can simply close down and open under a new name. These are “fly by night” trucking operations that put the lives of people at risk on serious injury and death every day.
A 2012 report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO) indicates only 2% of new transportation companies were screened to determine if they are a chameleon carrier. The GAO report also reveals that there is an 18% likelihood of a “chameleon carrier” being involved in severe accidents.
These chameleon carriers who slip under the radar could be employing drivers who have a history of drug abuse or other safety issues. In a recent case, it was discovered that one of these chameleon carriers was employing a driver who had a criminal history of marijuana and methamphetamine. The driver admitted to being under the influence of intoxicants at the time that he caused a 2008 accident that killed another truck driver. The owner of the company also admitted to creating a chameleon company in order to avoid regulations.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, contact the Goings Law Firm, LLC today!
The problem with chameleon carriers is one of the reasons why it is important to hire an experienced trucking litigation attorney as soon as possible after an accident. Our Personal Injury Lawyers help prevent injuries and deaths as a result of trucking accidents by seeking damages for the reckless and negligent conduct of other drivers. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a truck accident, we will work to secure the financial compensation that you deserve. Please call Robert F. Goings of the Goings Law Firm, LLC at (803) 350-9230 for a free case evaluation.
To learn more about Chameleon Carriers, check out this video below:
Earlier today, Friday, August 1, 2014, two separate accidents happened in the eastbound lane at the interchange of interstates I-26 and I-126. The first accident happened when a tractor-trailer collided into a car while changing lanes. The second accident happened when two cars collided as a result of the slow-down from the first accident. These accidents happened during the morning rush hour when many residents make the commute from the communities of Irmo and Lexington into the City of Columbia for work. Local news reports indicate that traffic did not begin to clear until after 9:30AM.
Often times when slow downs happen as a result of an accident, these situations can create distracted drivers. Traffic caused by an accident can often be very hazardous because of a drivers tendency look at the accident, which takes the focus away from the driving. Law Enforcement Officials have reported problems with “rubber necking effects” because of these tendencies.
If you have been injured in an auto accident of trucking accident, contact an experienced attorney today!
Injuries from trucking accidents can often be very severe. Additionally, auto accidents can be equally as traumatic to the parties involved. If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, trucking accident, or as the result of a distracted driver, then contact the Goings Law Firm, LLC. You can discuss your case with an experienced trial attorney to evaluate your claim for free. Call today at (803) 350-9230.
On Friday, July 25 a truck accident closed down a portion of I-26 near Orangeburg County. According to S.C. Highway Patrol, the accident happened in the eastbound lane near mile marker 159. The tractor-trailer was carrying hazardous chemicals, which leaked out during the accident, and DEHEC was called-in to clean up the accident.
If you or some one you know has been injured in a trucking related accident, please call the Goings Law Firm, LLC today!
Collisions caused by 18-wheelers, tractor-trailer trucks, and commercial vehicles can cause tremendous personal injury and in some cases even wrongful death. After a trucking accident, it is best to hire an experienced Columbia trucking litigation attorney as quickly as possible. The Goings Law Firm, LLC has the experience and legal know how to represent you or a loved one recover for the damages sustained from a trucking accident. To discuss you case for free, contact a truck accident attorney at the Goings Law Firm, LLC by calling (803) 350-9230 today.
On Tuesday, June 17, a Tractor-trailer collided with an ambulance on Highway 176 in Orangeburg, S.C. The ambulance was carrying two patients who were being transported from a previous accident. The ambulance was in the process of making a U-turn when the accident occurred.
Our prayers go out the drivers, passengers, and families of those involved in this accident. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a accident involving a car or truck, we are here to help you. Truck accidents cause significant injuries, and many times result in wrongful death. Please contact us today to see if we can help you and your family recover from trucking related accidents. We will work to secure the financial compensation that you deserve. Please call Robert F. Goings of the Goings Law Firm, LLC at (803) 350-9230 for a free case evaluation.
On Wednesday June 6, 2014, a tractor-tailor hauling turkeys collided with a man driving a moped, causing the moped driver to be thrown from the moped and killed instantly. The collision happened at the intersection of Belfast Rd. at Silverstreet in Newberry, South Carolina. The accident closed Bellfast Road for several hours while the scene was under investigation.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the young man who was driving the moped. Often when auto accidents happen involving tractor-trailers, there is severe injury and extensive damage. Our Personal Injury Lawyers help prevent injuries as a result of auto accidents by seeking damages for the reckless and negligent conduct of other drivers. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a accident involving a car or truck, we are here to help you. Please contact us today to see if we can help you and your family recover from the harm caused by trucking related accidents. We will work to secure the financial compensation that you deserve. Please call Robert F. Goings of the Goings Law Firm, LLC at (803) 350-9230 or contact us online.
On May 25, 2014, during Memorial Day weekend, a significant motor vehicle accident occurred on I-20 near the Richland and Kershaw county lines. This accident is currently under investigation by the South Carolina Highway Parol, and the cause of the crash has not been released. The crash caused both westbound and eastbound lanes of I-20 near the Kershaw County and Richland County lines to be closed for most of the day.
Two cars were significantly damaged in the collision that also involved a large tractor trailer semi-truck. A small truck was overturned, and a red mustang had the top of the car torn off. The 18-wheeler did not appear to sustain as severe of property damage. The extend of the injuries caused by this accident is currently unknown, but significant trauma was reported because persons were transported from the to Palmetto Health Richland in Columbia by helicopter. To learn about common causes of truck accidents, read this article.
Our prayers go the drivers, passengers, and families of those involved in this accident. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a accident involving a car or truck, we are here to help you. Truck accidents cause significant injuries, and many times result in wrongful death. Please contact us today to see if we can help you and your family recover from trucking related accidents. We will work to secure the financial compensation that you deserve. Please call Robert F. Goings of the Goings Law Firm, LLC at (803) 350-9230 for a free case evaluation.
On May 12, 2014, a new study titled, “Pregnancy and the risk of a traffic crash” by the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ) suggests that pregnant women, especially in their second trimester, may be at a greater risk for being involved in auto accidents. Pregnant drivers should be aware of their increased risks, and use extra caution driving on the roadways. To read the study, click here: CMAJ Pregnant Driver Study 2014.
Why are pregnant drivers at higher risk of accident?
Pregnancy brings symptoms of morning sickness, nausea, fatigue, anxiety, and distraction. All of these factors can contribute to driver distraction or driver error while on the roadways.
Why is the second trimester especially dangerous? The second trimester is when women feel the most effects of pregnancy, and often experience something called “pregnancy brain”, which is “the foggy thinking many women report as pregnancy progresses.”
What does this mean for pregnant drivers?
The study does not suggest that pregnant women should not drive. It only suggests that you should be aware of these greater risks and use especial care when operating a motor vehicle.
Anytime you drive a car, it is important to buckle your seat belt, take you time, slow down, and observe all traffic and safety rules.
Contact a Columbia Auto Accident lawyer at the Goings Law Firm, LLC if you have been injured in an Accident.
The Goings Law Firm, LLC advocates for protecting the lives of future mothers and children on the roads. Our Personal Injury Lawyers help prevent injuries as a result of auto accidents by seeking damages for the reckless and negligent conduct of other drivers. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident as the result of another’s negligence, or if you a pregnant and have been injured in a car accident, then please contact us today by calling (803) 350-9230.