Staying Safe on the Roads in 2019
Did you know? The roadways that we drive on right here in the Midlands are some of the most dangerous roads in our state. Through the first 11 months of 2018, there were a total of 62 fatal car accidents in Lexington County alone. Only two other counties—Greenville County and Spartanburg County—recorded more fatal accidents.
Most of these fatal traffic accidents are preventable, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol, as a majority of them either involve drivers under the influence or passengers not wearing a seatbelt.
There are simple steps that you can take to help make our roadways safer in 2019:
- Put the phone down. There’s nothing happening on your phone that can’t wait until you are safely parked somewhere.
- Designate a driver. If you’re planning an evening out with your girlfriends or an afternoon of brewery hopping with the guys, make sure that you have a safe ride home with someone who hasn’t been drinking.
- Buckle up! Not only is it the law, but it can save your life in an accident.
- Watch out at stoplights. Keep your eyes peeled for red light runners—just because your light is green, it doesn’t mean that the intersection is clear and safe for you to drive through.
- Keep your distance. If the car in front of you has to suddenly stop, you don’t want to run into the back of them! Leave a few seconds between you and the car in front of you to give you plenty of time to stop if necessary.
Despite your best precautions to travel on the roadways safely, we know that accidents do happen. If you’re injured in an accident, give us a call! We’ll be more than happy to talk to you and see if we are able to help you navigate the insurance process if someone has injured you in an automobile accident.