Columbia Highway and Road Defect Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Were you hurt in a motorcycle accident caused by a road defect? If so, the Columbia motorcycle accident lawyers of Goings Law Firm, LLC are ready to help you get the justice you deserve. The poor design of roads and defects like uneven pavement or bumps can directly cause severe accidents. State and local governments have a responsibility to keep roads and highways safe. If they fail to do so, they may be liable for any harm you suffered as a result.
Motorcycle accidents are often worse than car accidents because the driver of a motorcycle takes the direct impact of a crash on their body. As a result, motorcyclists who are in a crash can suffer from broken bones, severe bruising, head and neck trauma, and spinal cord injuries, among other things. That’s why our team of aggressive and experienced attorneys at Goings Law Firm, LLC are here to help you get the compensation you deserve.
At Goings Law Firm, LLC, our Columbia road defect motorcycle accident attorneys are ready to stand up for you. Over the years, we have helped countless clients get the compensation they deserve for their injuries. While we understand that money cannot undo the harm that you have suffered, it will at least help alleviate some of your stress, enable you to see the medical professionals you need to consult, and allow you to take the time you need to heal. For a free consultation, contact us by calling (803) 350-9230, or filling out a contact form online.
While motorcycle accidents are not necessarily more common than car crashes, motorcycle accidents tend to yield greater consequences and result in more fatalities. The National Highway Safety Traffic Administration reports that:
- In 2015, there were 4,976 motorcyclists killed in accidents. This is an 8% increase from 2014 when 4,594 motorcyclists were killed in accidents.
- In 2015, per mile traveled, motorcyclists were 29 times more likely than car occupants to be involved in a fatal crash.
- In 2015, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in accidents.
Highway and road defects and improper roadway maintenance should never rob you of your health and your livelihood. If a defective roadway caused your crash, contact an experienced motorcycle attorney today.
Highway and Road Defects
Highway and road defects can present significant safety issues for motorcyclists and can even cause accidents. Part of the problem is that highways and roads are designed with multi-wheel vehicles in mind, and a motorcyclist’s safety is an afterthought. In addition to ensuring that roads and highways are free of defects and adequately maintained, state and local governments have a responsibility to provide proper signage and warn about roadway hazards. There are a variety of road hazards that can cause catastrophic crashes for motorcyclists. Some of the issues with highways and roads that are hazardous for motorcycles include the following:
- Fluid spills or standing water or liquids, such as oil and anti-freeze
- Slick materials used for road repairs, such as bituminous rubberized asphalt sealer used for crack repair and plasticized adhesive pavement-marking tape
- Debris on the road or on the side of the road that is not cleared promptly
- Pavement ridges without tapering that are too high
- Metal road surface components, both temporary and permanent, that become slick when wet and may be difficult to see
- Work-zone signs
- Roadside barriers designed to restrict cars
- Poorly lit roads and intersections
- Poorly marked curves and road changes
- Insufficient shoulders
- Low-hanging branches and vegetation obstructing roads and signs
- Railway tracks and crossings
- Uneven pavement, such as that common along road expansion or bridge joints that connect two pieces of road
- A defect in the pavement that makes it uneven
Highway and road defects or improper maintenance can happen under a variety of circumstances and can be quite common. While roads and highways need to be free of defects and must be adequately maintained to ensure all drivers are safe, it is especially crucial for the safety of motorcyclists. They will more easily lose control of their motorcycle than a car would if they do something like hit a pothole or a slick spot on the road.
Who is Liable?
If you were the victim of a motorcycle accident due to a poorly designed, defective, or improperly maintained roadway, you have the right to hold the responsible party accountable. Local and state governments have a responsibility to make sure that roads and highways are free of defects and are properly maintained. The federal government may also have a limited role in keeping highways safe by setting specific standards and passing laws. If one of these entities failed in their duty to keep the roadways safe, they might be liable for any damages you suffered as a result of their negligence.
Knowing who you can sue and how to proceed with a legal claim for negligence due to road and highway defects or failure to maintain safe roadways can be confusing. That’s whey the aggressive and experienced Columbia motorcycle crash attorneys at Goings Law Firm, LLC are here to help.
Being the victim of a motorcycle accident that was caused by highway or road defects can have catastrophic consequences that will leave you and your family with both short- and long-term consequences. When your accident was caused by other people’s failure to design, build, and maintain highways and roads, they need to be held accountable for their negligence or carelessness. Call Goings Law Firm, LLC at (803) 350-9230 today for a free consultation, and let us help you get the compensation you deserve.