Jessica L. O’Neill Gooding
A native of Conway, SC, Jessica L. O’Neill Gooding attended the University of South Carolina, where she majored in Finance and Marketing. Jess graduated in 2010 with highest honors as a suma cum laude graduate.
Jess attended University of South Carolina School of Law and earned her Juris Doctorate with high honors, magna cum laude, in 2013. While in law school, Jess served as a Peer Mentor, a Law School Ambassador, and the Symposium Editor for the South Carolina Law Review. Jess was inducted into both of the School of Law’s prestigious honor societies, the Order of the Coif and the Order of the Wig and Robe.
Immediately following graduation, Jess joined Turner Padget Graham & Laney, P.A. and began practicing with the Employment and Personal Injury Litigation teams. Jess had the opportunity to serve as a first chair trial attorney in personal injury cases, and she also represented South Carolina employers in matters before the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and in South Carolina’s state and federal courts.
Jess is active in the South Carolina Bar’s Young Lawyer Division, and she serves on the Cinderella Project Committee. Jess is also on the Membership Committee for the South Carolina Women Lawyers Association and on the Editorial Board for the Richland County Bar Newsletter.
Jess’s husband, Ben, is also an attorney. They have one son, Henry, and two Labrador Retrievers, Henry’s “fur-brothers.” When away from the office, Jess and Ben enjoy attending college football games, cooking, and entertaining friends. Whenever they can, the Goodings enjoy traveling to a family farm in Georgia – it’s the best way to keep all those boys entertained!
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2013
- University of South Carolina, South Carolina Honors College, B.S., summa cum laude, 2010
- University of South Carolina Order of the Wig and Robe
- University of South Carolina Order of the Coif
- South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association Scholar
- Boone Foundation Scholar
- South Carolina Women Lawyer’s Association
- South Carolina Young Lawyers Division
- Richland County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Junior League of Columbia
- Kappa Nu Kappa Alumna Group
- Trenholm Road United Methodist Church
- Show Me the Money: McClurg v. Deaton and the Introduction of a Defense as to Damages Only for Default Judgments in South Carolina, 63 S.C.L.Rev. 799 (2012)
- The Culture War Comes to the Workplace, Columbia Business Monthly (2016)- contributing author
- “Personal Liability for Supervisors/Managers and other Workplace Concerns,” October 2015, Central Carolina Technical College.
- “Updates on Workplace Discrimination Issues,” October, 2015, Turner Padget and Webster Rogers Seminar: Navigating Through the Impacts of HR Issues and Affordable Care Regulations
- “Legal Ethics Online,” January 2015 National Business Institute’s “Everything You Don’t Know about E-Discovery (But Wish You Did)”
- “Affordable Care Act: What Payroll Professionals Need to Know,” June 2014, South Carolina Chapter of the American Payroll Association
- “It’s More Than What You Say, It’s Also How You Say It: The Surface Transportation Act and Its Employee Whistleblower Provisions,” May 2014, South Carolina Trucking Association Trucking Law Conference